Thursday, June 9, 2011

Trash to Treasure...

A little over a month ago I picked up this "beauty" from the side of the road:
Don't worry, I'm not beginning a new hobby in dumpster diving - or anything like that - but I was looking for something with good bones to turn into a chalkboard, and I saw it in this spot right outside of our neighborhood where people set out furniture and all kinds of other junk on trash day...and I saw the potential!
I already have an old antique frame that we did this for {when I say "we," I actually mean my mom and stepdad, ha!} for Mills' room, so I wanted something wooden, and I wanted to paint it white and distress it...but this was my inspiration:
I think this was from Southern Living, and I love the idea of having it downstairs and listing the football schedule on it in the fall...because we're big football fans around here {now the only problem is which team! Guess we'll have to alternate!} ;)

Okay, now back to my vision...
 Nicholas said this thing was heinous...and he definitely doubted my skills...


But...
After a trip to Lowe's for a can of spray primer, a little sample container of paint, and some chalkboard paint
+
a little distressing around the edges with some sandpaper thingies I already had (i know, i know...there's a better word for those little sanding blocks but i can't think of it!)

And, ta-da!!!
 Isn't she cute?!?
Thanks to a blogosphere of crafty people I learned that you have to prime the chalkboard with chalk before writing on it so it doesn't become permanent.
And she's finished! :)
{and who's that cute little man golfing in the corner???}
I'm gonna wait until we move to put a sweet little quote or verse on it, and put it up on display, but I'm thinking this one will be just the one to remind me that it's not important where we live, but with whom we live {which I may need to be reminded of a time or two after leaving Charleston}: 
Whatcha think??? Didn't someone else's trash become quite a cute little treasure?!?

6 comments:

  1. Wow!! That is awesome--you did a great job! You've inspired me--something like this would look perfect in our kitchen. Now I'll have to keep an eye out for the perfect mirror or frame. Also, wanted to make sure you got my email a couple of weeks ago about being the rug winner. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! I am impressed with the transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! DIY projects. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sooooo cute! it turned out great! and love the quote :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks fabulous!! you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so doing this! I can't wait to show my Mom. She is going to love it! :)

    ReplyDelete