Monday, October 12, 2009

Fall is in the air...well, for today at least!


So I know it's been about 95 degrees for the past few days (i even pulled weeds in the yard in a swimsuit on Saturday afternoon, haha!), but TODAY it was a nice change of close to 70, cloudy in the am, and a little drizzly in the afternoon. Now usually I'm not one to love rainy, cool days (well mainly the rain part), but it was nice to feel a little fall in the air, especially THIS YEAR, b/c that means January is right around the corner! :) But I've been looking forward to enjoying a caramel apple spice cider from Starbucks - yum, yum - and it was the perfect day for one of those tasty treats! (My usual right now is a chai tea latte, which does have a little caffeine, but nothing overboard...)

Being all in the fall spirit as I was today, I took a long gaze at the pumpkin bread at Starbucks, too! Of course I knew I didn't need that and the yummy drink (at the same time), but it inspired me to come home and make a homemade version of my own!  Healthier AND it probably cost me all of $4 to make two loaves, which is what one piece would have cost at Starbucks (I know, look at me, so very thrifty...haha, it's all about priorities, people, you know, cutting back a little here and a little there...how else can you spend practically a morgage payment at a baby store in one day if you don't save that $4 on a starbucks pumpkin loaf!!??!!)  ;) hehe.
So, I thought that I'd post the yummy recipe (and the changes I made) in case you are feeling like a fall domestic diva yourself and want to give it a try! By the way, it turned out AMAZING!!! I just had a loaf slice with a tall glass of milk and it was oh-so-delicious! Nicholas took some to the hospital tonight, too!  So, here goes (Pumpkin Gingerbread from allrecipes.com):
Ingredients:
3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2/3 cup water
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Directions:
1.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
2.
In a large mixing, combine sugar, oil and eggs; beat until smooth. Add water and beat until well blended. Stir in pumpkin, ginger, allspice and cinnamon.
3.
In medium bowl, combine flour, soda, salt, and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and blend just until all ingredients are mixed. Divide batter between prepared pans.
4.
Bake in preheated oven until toothpick comes out clean, about 1 hour.

My Changes:
-For the 3 cups of sugar, I used 1 1/2 of white splenda blend sugar and 1 1/2 of brown splenda blend sugar.
-Instead of 1 cup of vegetable oil (holy cow!), I used 1/4 cup of vegetable oil and 3/4 cup of apple sauce.
-I couldn't find (or either they were out of) the pumpkin puree, so I used the Libby canned pumpkin pie mix and it worked perfectly.
-Note: I already had all of the spices except for ground ginger, and that was on the spice aisle, too, just had to get a different brand than usual.
-For the 3 1/2 cups of flour, I used 2 cups of all purpose flour like the recipe said, and then the other 1 1/2 of wheat flour (why not throw in a little nutrition!)
-I also stirred in 1/2 cup of walnuts and 1/3 cup of pecans (just b/c that's how much I happened to have in my pantry!) and it was the perfect addition.
-Oh, and I almost forgot, I added just a tiny bit of streusel topping before popping it in the oven. Basically I just melted 1/3 of light butter in the microwave, then eyeballed a little bit of flour, splenda sugar (like a tablespoon of each white and brown), took a handful of pecans and crunched them up, AND I was out of oats (oatmeal didn't sound as good to me as it usually does in the first trimester), but I needed something else to make the mixture less runny - b/c you want it to be crumbly/sticky - so I used a packet of plain instant oatmeal, ha, and it was perfect!!!!  I just sprinkled/plopped drops of this mixture on top of the two loaves and put them in the oven! You don't have to do this but it just added a little something extra!
It did take a little more than an hour to bake, but it was WELL worth it!!!  I'll definitely be making this again!
Happy Fall, Ya'll! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment