Thursday, March 10, 2011

Yum yum

If it's cool and rainy in your neck of the woods, try out this delicious (and healthy!) lasagna recipe tonight...I promise it won't disappoint!  After so many people commented/emailed me and said they made the enchilada recipe I posted a while back, I decided to post another delicious one - another standby for taking to other families, too! I've been really slack on recipes since back in 2010 - sorry!
{don't judge the photos - my camera battery was dead so these are courtesy of my cell}
The Stars of the Show:
-1 lb lean ground beef
-1 box whole wheat lasagna noodles (I use Hodgson Mill)
-5 cups spaghetti sauce (I use Classico, usually tomato basil or spicy red pepper, 2 jars)
-1 lb ricotta cheese
-8 oz shredded 2% Mozzarella cheese
-3/4 cup (reduced fat) grated Parmesan cheese
{sorry, ricotta cheese - left you out of the first pic, oops!}

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Brown meat and drain.  Cook lasagna noodles according to directions, al dente.  {I think you can actually put them in without cooking them first, if you're looking for a quicker way, and just bake for closer to 45 minutes (I'll try that next time and let you know) Although I never usually mind boiling them for a few mins first}! 
In a 13x9 baking pan, spread 1 cup of the sauce; arrange a layer of lasagna; top with 1 1/3 cup sauce, ½ of the ricotta (I kind of spread it into the sauce a little), followed by 1/3 of the meat, 1/3 of the mozzarella, and 1/3 of the parmesan cheese. 
Repeat, gently pressing lasagna pieces into the cheese mixture below.  
{note: you don't have to break up the lasagna pieces - it will be just fine if they're not exactly the length of the pan. I just do it on the top two layers because I'm a perfectionist, that's all.}
End with a final layer of lasagna; pour remaining sauce over (I usually just finish off the jar), making sure all lasagna pieces are covered with sauce, top with remaining meat, then mozzarella and parmesan cheese. I usually sprinkle a little oregano or Italian seasoning from my spice rack on top at this point (and sometimes a little extra shredded parmesan (the kind in the tub, like you see in the pic below, just because I had it on hand and it's delicious).  
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until lightly browned and bubbling.  
Enjoy!
Serve it with a salad and you're done! AND, not only is it delicious, but it's big enough to eat off of for a couple days, or freeze the leftovers in smaller portions. Actually, it sometimes tastes even better the next day after all of the flavors have blended together. AND, your toddler will eat it up, too - SCORE!  :)

Giveaway for the kiddos in your life...coming tonight!

1 comment: