Friday, April 2, 2010

John 3:16

The first Bible verse I memorized when I was little.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

I was thinking about this very verse today, on Good Friday, and just how hard that must have been. I cannot really comprehend it, because I'm human, but what a mighty sacrifice God gave for me and for you. And this little face gives me just a glimpse of the depth of that amazing sacrifice.
...a different perspective, as I look at my one and only son.

This lenten season I gave up chocolate (as I've mentioned before), but I sometimes feel like we give up things for the wrong reasons. I know lots of people give up fried food, fast food, or maybe dessert, and also hope to lose a few pounds in the process (and I've been guilty before!)...but lent isn't supposed to be a diet plan! I actually gave up chocolate because I was enjoying hot chocolate so much (w/ our new coffee maker - no diet goal, it was only 70 calories, ha), and I wanted to give up something I was eating on a regular basis.  And of course I had my few "cheats," some intentional and some not!  But I've also only listened to Christian music during Lent.  And after doing both, I really think that committing to something instead of giving up something is more meaningful for me.  Although Christian radio stations tend to be a little cheesy at times (especially the radio commercials...which is soooo unfortunate!), I ended up with songs stuck in my head that were positive and uplifting all day long! My personal favorite is NeedToBreathe - not only because they're from the same hometown as I am, but also because they're awesome! :) Bo Rinehart was just a year older than us, and his sister, Hannah was in our grade - knew them both well - and Joe Stillwell's dad was my preacher growing up - he actually is the one who baptized me!  NeedToBreathe is not just on Christian radio, but featured in movies and they have become really well-known - it's neat to see people that you grew up with doing so well!  Among my top favorites of theirs are:
Washed by the Water - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuOs3x94Wos
Click the links and check them out! :)
Happy Good Friday, and even more amazingly, Happy Easter Weekend! 

3 comments:

  1. NeedToBreathe will be at Littlejohn in June. I would love to see them. Mills gets sweeter everyday. Keep the pictures coming. Hope ya'll have a Happy Easter. Miss dyeing eggs with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am crying happy and sad tears......happy tears because I am so proud of the daughter, wife, and mother that you are, and sad because I am not there to spend Easter with you all...but you can bet that next year we will be dyeing eggs and hiding them for little Mills! I love you so much!
    Gammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole, I found your blog through a friend's page. Your family is absolutely adorable! My husband is also a resident in internal medicine, so I'm guessing we have a lot in common :). I had to comment on this post because I totally agree with doing something for lent as opposed to giving something up - that's actually what I do! So much more rewarding! It's such a blessing to meet people like you and I look forward to continue reading about your family. ~Tricia

    ReplyDelete