Thursday, September 16, 2010

Vacay Part One - A rough start to a great trip!

So we left for the beach the Friday before Labor Day, right after Nicholas got off work. It's just a little 2.5 hour trip (normally), and we were pulling our boat because we were headed up to Clemson the following weekend - straight from NMB - to get it fixed and leave it for the winter months. Anywho, so we ran by Jack's Cosmic Dogs to grab some dinner on the way out of town, and we were riding along, enjoying the evening, when Nicholas looks in his side mirror and sees a tire BLOW out on the boat trailer! He freaks out, but calmly pulls over to the side of the road, just before McClellanville. We were actually very lucky, because we were going really fast and apparently sometimes when you blow a tire completely off the hubcap (or something like that..no, whatever the inside of the tire is called...) can dig into the road and flip your car...add a boat trailer with a big ole Boston Whaler boat on the back, and, well, it could have been a lot worse.
Soo, there we are, on the side of the road, with a sweet little baby boy (who had been asleep), and no clue in the world what to do! Thankfully, an old man pulled over and happened to have a couple of spare boat trailer tires in the back of his truck! What are the odds?!?! Nicholas and I were both like Praise the Lord! We thought it would be a quick fix. The nice old man (seriously he was like 90) was on his way to church, and wasn't going to charge him anything, but we felt so blessed that he even stopped that we scraped together all of the cash we had (I usually keep a little extra bday money in my wallet in case I see something I have to have throughout the remainder of the year, haha). So off he drove.
Nicholas starts trying to get the wheel base off, and the lug nut gets STUCK in whatever that bar thing is that you use (haha, you love my car repair knowledge, don't you?). Awesome. It has been like an hour or so at this point. Nicholas' dad is headed our way, but he's about 2.5 hours away from where we are. Nicholas starts trying to flag people down, because we needed another one of those bar things. No one was stopping. In a valiant effort to invoke some sympathy, I get Mills and we stand out there with him. FINALLY, a family stops. Turns out we need a different sized-bar thingy for a boat trailer (can you tell that this boat was Nicholas' aunt and uncle's and we clearly don't know what we're doing here...), so this sweet family goes into the big town of McClellanville to try and find a place to get one. Problem: they only have a gas station and a Dollar General = no luck. But it was so nice of them to pull over and help us. As they left, Mills and I got back in the car. Of course it's dark now, and we didn't realize that Nicholas had left the very back window open, and I swear to you we got in that car and there were at least, I kid you not, 30 mosquitos in that car. Mills was crying because he was tired, and bored (I had already fed him in the first hour we sat there). I picked up a piece of paper and was trying to smash as many of those suckers as I good...as tears ran down my face. I was soooo frustrated. Finally, after lots of phone calls to family, we decided to leave the boat on the side of the road, and continue on our journey. Three hours was long enough to wait. Of course I was thinking to myself, "Man, if we just would have made this decision three hours ago, honey..." Okay, maybe I said it out loud, too.
Either way, we safely made it to the beach at around 10:30pm (I think), and we were grateful, although exhausted. Nicholas' dad knew someone in the towing business who went and picked the boat up the next morning and brought it back to Dillon, so we could pick it up on our way back to the upstate, whew! The WORST part??? Remember all of those mosquitos?!? Well I wasn't successful in killing all of them because my sweet little one was absolutely eaten up.
Ughhhhh! Doesn't that absolutely break your heart?? It did mine! :(
I counted at least 15, and on a little surface area, that's a lot! Eight of those were on his face, and his arms and legs were so sad, too - he even had two on his tiny little pinky toe..it was all swollen. :(
I wanted to find those mosquitos and rip their stupid wings off one at time...wait, that sounds a little psycho-momish, doesn't it??? Oh well, at the time it was TRUE!!!
You should have seen Nichols' poor feet and legs, too. From standing outside so long I bet you he had 100 bites, ouchie! Poor boys.

Nonetheless, once we were there, we had a GREAT time! :) We had lots of friends and family around, which made for a wonderful Labor Day weekend!
love these girls!
Jennifer and I with the boys...and the grandmothers! :)
We enjoyed some DELICIOUS oysters!!! Finally an "R" month, yay!
My father-in-law bought out all the bushels of oysters in town...no, seriously he did! 
We also had fresh steamed shrimp and seared and raw tuna in the most delicious sauces - oh my it was GOOD!
My first post-baby oysters...can you believe it?
Making Mom try one (she wasn't sure she liked them steamed):
Mills was jealous...
I don't blame him! :)
He settled right down though.
Gammy and Millsy again!
Whitney and Jarvis (one of Nicholas' college buddies) joined us, too! It was Jarvis' first time to meet the babies!
I think he looks like a pro! :)
We also enjoyed lots of pool time, too!
Phil and Phil did some weeding, haha...
...while the rest of us lounged and splashed!
fam pic!
Mills "chillaxing" with Liz...
It's his world, we're just living in it, ya know. :)
Despite a rough start, we had a great Labor Day weekend! Part dos of the vacay coming tomorrow, with the rest of the week! 

1 comment:

  1. Your boys must be too sweet! :) Those mosquitos couldn't get enough!

    ReplyDelete